Meet Miss Lucille Ball Homer.
She is officially the newest member of our family, and we couldn’t be more excited. The decision to buy a hedgehog may appear to be random and rather unorthodox as a first pet; however, I have dreamed of owning a hedgehog since I was a little girl, who was completely taken with the Jan Brett children’s buy Lyrica online ireland series. Needless to say, when we found a local hedgehog breeder selling baby hedgies on KSL, we jumped at the opportunity.
A little bit about our Lucille:
- She is a pinto hedgehog (brown). Though, if you look at her coat, she has quite a bit of white coloring. Most of Lucille’s siblings are albino, perhaps that is where some of the lighter coloring plays into her pinto-ness.
- Can you say tiny! She is just a baby, barely nine-weeks old.
- Lucille enjoys her daily dose of cat food, but goes crazy for a turkey slice. hmm mmh
- She loves the darkness. In other words, she is nocturnal. This comes as quite a disappointment to many when they discover the sleeping habits of hedgehogs, but for us, it’s perfect. She sleeps soundly during the day and is up, ready to play, by the time Nick gets home from work and the sun is just beginning to set. Hedgehogs truly are the best pets to own while working.
- She isn’t as “pokey” as she looks. Just imagine stroking a cute hair brush with an extremely soft, warm underbelly:) Though, I must say, when she feels threatened, she can draw blood. After all, her quills have to be good for something.
- Sleep, sleep, sleep. Lucy loves her beauty sleep. Then again, she is a baby, and that’s what babies do–sleep.
- She is beginning to blossom. Just like a baby, Lucille is beginning to play and explore a little more each day. We love her!
- Leading me to this point, CUDDLING! Lucille loves to cuddle–especially in the mornings. I often wake up to Nick cuddling with Lucille. She finds her “sweet spot” in his armpit and begins to burrow her little head, so as to create a little cave for herself. She will nap like this for hours.
Owning a hedgehog is the BEST. IDEA. EVER. It’s been fun for me to see the nurturing side of Nick, as he cares for this little hedgie girl. He loves her more than I could’ve EVER anticipated. I mean, during our first night with Lucille, Nick woke up three times to check on her…(!) I can only imagine what will happen when Lucille is replaced with a human baby…haha.
We love her and highly recommend a hedgehog to anyone who wants a bundle of excitement in their lives.